iola

The Sacred Cipher: A Novel
Terry Brennan
Sons of Thunder
Susan May Warren
Blood Ransom PB (Mission Hope)
Harris Lisa
The Guardian Duke - Jamie Carie The Guardian Duke immediately caught my eye for two reasons. Firstly, it is a Regency romance, set during the period when the Prince Regent ruled England because his father, George III, was not of sound mind. It is currently a very popular period in fiction, no doubt influenced by Colin Firth’s performance of Darcy in the ultimate Regency romance, Pride and Prejudice. The second thing that appealed to me was that the couple in question, Lady Alexandria Featherstone and her guardian, Gabriel, Duke of St. Easton, have met only through written correspondence. I also have a soft spot for guardian/ward romances, no doubt inspired by Georgette Heyer, the undisputed Queen of Regency fiction.Unfortunately, I was to be disappointed. I have to admit that I didn't read all this book. I was so irritated after the first two chapters that I put it aside, and came back to it a few days later. The third chapter did not improve it, so I did the naughty and skipped to the end, to see if Alex and the Duke got their happily-ever-after. I don't want to add a spoiler but... they did not. Instead, the book is set up for a sequel (that I will not be reading).So what did I dislike about the book? Firstly, there were several examples of the use of language inappropriate to the time and place (1818 England). Examples include 'pal', 'gun' and 'bullet' (people shot with pistols that used cartridges then). The book is set in Regency England, when the King has been declared so insane that he is not fit to rule the country, so his son has been appointed Prince Regent. So he would not be writing letters, and if he were, no one would obey him. There were several other historical details that were incorrect, including the use of titles (Lord and Lady), and the value of Alex's estate. If she was really so rich, why was she living in a lonely castle with only two servants?These inaccuracies might not matter to some people, and if this is the case, they may well enjoy the book. But I found it too annoying to finish. I was provided with a free ebook for review, from B&H Publishing & NetGalley. Obviously, I was not required to write a positive review...