iola

The Sacred Cipher: A Novel
Terry Brennan
Sons of Thunder
Susan May Warren
Blood Ransom PB (Mission Hope)
Harris Lisa
The Scroll: A Novel - Grant R. Jeffrey, Alton Gansky David Chambers is a biblical archaeologist who once explored the biblical sites because of his faith, but now that faith is as dead as King Herod he is contemplating a change in career direction. In this slightly futuristic thriller, a chance telephone call from a colleague in Israel brings the opportunity to lead a project that will potentially change the world forever (The Scroll is set in 2012-2015).The Copper Scroll is a list of the temple treasures and, more importantly, where they were hidden before the destruction of the second temple in 70 CE. As the search for the artefacts described in the Copper Scroll progresses, the threats increase and the danger intensifies. The likelihood of danger is brought home to the team when a local student is found dead under suspicious circumstances. Another complication is the presence of Dr Amber Rodgers, David's ex fiancée, the relationship that she broke off when David lost his faith as a result of the slow and painful death of his mother.I have always enjoyed archaeology mysteries, and The Scroll was no exception. It was well researched, with flashes of humour, and conspiracy theories almost two millennia old. The explanations of the underlying research and technology were clear, and the evident research made it hard to determine where fact ended and fiction began, which is always a good start. There are certain aspects to The Scroll that suggest it is targeted more towards the male audience (like always telling us the make and model of the aircraft Chambers is flying in), but that is not to say that women won’t enjoy it. I certainly did.Thanks to Waterbrook Press and Bookbloggers for providing a free ebook for review. Grant R Jeffrey is internationally recognized as a teacher on Bible prophecy and an intelligent defense of our Christian faith. For more information, see his website. Alton L Gansky is a well-known author of intelligent Christian thrillers, and you can find out more about him at his website.This review also appears on my blog, www.christianreads.blogspot.com.