iola

The Sacred Cipher: A Novel
Terry Brennan
Sons of Thunder
Susan May Warren
Blood Ransom PB (Mission Hope)
Harris Lisa
Leaving Lancaster - Kate Lloyd Almost forty years have passed since Esther Gingerich and Samuel Fisher ran away from their Amish upbringing in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, and headed west to live in a hippie commune and sing on the streets of San Francisco. They married, Samuel was drafted, shipped off to Vietnam and declared MIA, leaving Esther to raise their daughter alone because she was too proud to return to her family. Holly grew up believing her grandparents were dead, so it comes as a complete shock to her when Esther announces her intention to visit their Amish family – and wants Holly to come too.The story alternates between being told in the first person (by 37-year-old Holly) and the third person (from the point of view of Esther, Holly's mother). I continually found myself backtracking to the beginning of the chapter because I hadn't picked up the change. Call me fussy, but combining first person and third person doesn't ring true for me. It reminds me that I'm just reading a story about a bunch of made-up characters.This meant that I was noticing the writing rather than being carried along by the story, and as a result, I kept finding more things that bothered me While these were mostly minor, many of which were addressed later in the story, I found these glitches were pulling me out of the story. There were also contradictions in the plot line, and I found Holly hard to relate to. I could understand her anger and resentment towards her mother for having hidden her very alive family for so many years. She struck me as very self-centred, and I didn’t really see this change as the story progressed.Overall, I can’t say that I enjoyed Leaving Lancaster. Plot-wise, it had a solid underlying theme of honesty and forgiveness. But I found the writing style too distracting to allow me to get into and enjoy the story.Thanks to David C Cook and NetGalley for providing a free ebook for review.