iola

The Sacred Cipher: A Novel
Terry Brennan
Sons of Thunder
Susan May Warren
Blood Ransom PB (Mission Hope)
Harris Lisa
The Dublin Destiny - Jill Twigg The worst book I read this year. Do you really want to know more?Rylee Shannon is fleeing Ireland to go to Georgia America, to stay with her mother's penpal. But we are not given any idea of what Rylee is fleeing or why. All we know is that Rylee is scared of everything, including flying and the sound of her own breathing. She is also overweight and badly-dressed, making her the proverbial ugly duckling. She flies to Dublin, Georgia, where a marriage of convenience has been arranged by her mother with Patrick, the son of her mother’s childhood pen-pal. A marriage of convenience plot is one thing, but there is something vaguely repugnant about mixing this with an ugly duckling plot, particularly in Christian fiction. As Christians, we are called to not judge based on outward appearance, yet this is exactly what Patrick does. He is happy to help the ugly duckling, but isn't actually interested in her until the beautiful swan appears, so he has to get Rylee to become a Christian so they can have a real marriage.Yet halfway through the book, we still have no idea who or what Rylee is trying to hide from. All we know is that with her marriage, work and gym membership, she has left a paper trail the size of an information highway in her wake, which should make it very easy for her past to catch up with her. I found this hard to reconcile, and when the secret finally was revealed, it was a bit of an anti-climax because it just didn’t seem believable. It had potential, but was let down by a series of unlikely plot elements and poor editing.Errors include plot holes you could drive the Titanic through, characters that don't make sense, head-hopping that made my head hurt, too much preaching, awful dialogue, even worse speaker attributions (e.g. Patrick expressed to her in a sincere manner), issues with tense (past and present in the same sentence), excessive use of adverbs, homophone errors, factual irregularities and a whole host of sentences that just don't make sense.The Dublin Destiny is published by Tate Publishing, a small Christian subsidy publisher. The last Tate book I read was very good. I could see it wasn't the kind of book that a mainstream Christian publisher would publish, but it was a good story, well-researched, well-written and properly edited. In short, everything this is not. The Dublin Destiny calls into question Tate's reassurances that they are a 'proper' publisher, not merely a vanity publisher out to fleece unsuspecting authors.