iola

The Sacred Cipher: A Novel
Terry Brennan
Sons of Thunder
Susan May Warren
Blood Ransom PB (Mission Hope)
Harris Lisa
Trouble in Store - Carol Cox When she loses her job as a governess, Melanie Ross heads to Cedar Ridge in the Arizona Territory to claim half of her cousin’s store, as promised by his partner, Alvin Nelson. But when she arrives, Alvin is dead and his nephew, Caleb, has no desire for a business partner, especially not one of the female variety. When Melanie discovers a dead body on the back step, and they begin to suspect there might be more trouble in store… (sorry, but I couldn’t resist the pun). The murder then forms the foundation of the plot, as it becomes apparent that there is a mystery that must be solved. As well as the murder there have been some mysterious notes, suggesting someone doesn’t want Caleb in town. Trouble in Store is a good mix of mystery, humour and romance. The characters were likeable, and while the story focused more on Melanie and Caleb’s disagreements about the store and the mystery, there was still a nice romantic sub-plot. The story is clearly Christian, but not preachy.I really enjoy historicals like Trouble in Store. There’s nothing especially deep or challenging, but they are fun, easy to read, perfect for a snuggling down with in winter, or reading in the sun in summer. Lighthearted with good morals, and something I’m happy to pass on to my daughter. Recommended. Thanks to Bethany House and NetGalley for providing a free ebook for review.